俄罗斯世界杯投注官网

发表时间:2018-12-06内容来源:VOA英语学习网

在那种罪案中 凶手是谁毫无疑问 This was the kind of crime where there is no question who did it.

我杀害了莱斯利·布拉德肖 I killed Leslie Bradshaw.

我砍伤了我的妻子 I cut my wife.

在田纳西州 In the state of Tennessee,

布拉德利·沃尔德鲁普面临死刑 that meant Bradley Waldroup was facing the death penalty.

但此案中 But in this case,

能救沃尔德鲁普的不是他的律师 the man who could save Waldroup was not a lawyer,

而是一名法院的精神病学家 but a forensic psychiatrist.

在沃尔德鲁普的辩护中 A fundamental question would lie

可能会提出一个根本性的问题 at the heart of Waldroup's defence.

他是杀了人 但是罪责在他吗 He may have done it, but was he to blame?

在开庭陈述中 I think in the opening statements,

范德堡大学 威廉·伯内特教授

辩护律师说 the defence attorney said that,

我们不会去辩论凶手是谁 we are not disputing who did this crime,

我们想要讨论为何会发生悲剧 but what we would like to talk about is why it happened.

伯内特教授同意收集证据 Dr Bernet agreed to gather the evidence.

我第一次见到沃尔德鲁普先生 I first saw Mr Waldroup.

我们安排在范德堡做评估 We arranged to do an evaluation at Vanderbilt

我在这个房间与他会面 and I met him in this room.

警长坐在这面窗的另一侧 The Sheriff sits on the other side of the window,

沃尔德鲁普先生是个中年男人 but Mr Waldroup himself was... He's a middle-aged man.

挺讨人喜欢 很健谈也很合作 He's pleasant. He's talkative. He's co-operative.

换言之 这是个外表普通的人 有亲和力 In other words, this is a normal-looking man, who is conversant

表达清晰 但他有故事 and fairly articulate, but who has a story.

在此案中 我认为故事很重要 And, in his case, I think the story was very important.

沃尔德鲁普的举动显示他有野蛮的破坏性人格 Waldroup's actions suggested a brutal, destructive personality.

我的最初印象是这举动异常暴力 My initial impression was that this was an unusually violent act.

相继开展 on behavioural genomics.

10至15年后 And, I think in 10, 15 years,

我们将会掌握更多信息 there will be more information than we have now.

这项新科学已经开始解释善与恶的基础 The new science is starting to explain the basis of good and evil

以及为何我们不同于彼此 and why we are different from each other.

我非常肯定 如果不是有良好的环境 I am pretty sure if I had not had this very positive environment,

我可能会很不幸 I would have turned out poorly.

我可能会有严重的行为问题 I would have been a real behaviour problem

这点我非常肯定 and I'm pretty sure of that.

但这项科学在给予我们越来越多信息的同时 But while this science is giving us more information,

也在动摇我们确定的认知 it's also undermining our certainties.

我们是好人还是坏人 Whether we're good or whether we're evil

一部分由基因决定 lies partly in our genes

一部分由环境决定 and partly in our environment.

但是鉴于两者我们都无法选择 But as we don't choose either,

对这一切我们真的有选择权吗 are we really free to choose at all?

来自:VOA英语网 文章地址: http://www.discjockeydirectory.com/html/20181206/Are-You-Good-or-Evil-31.html